This blog has moved to: www.studio-paars.nl

April 22, 2012

* Glasses cozy (with sort of a Tutorial)


I'm moving my blog; the new location of this post is: Studio Paars - DIY: sew an embroidered glasses cosy

Mijn blog verhuist; de nieuwe locatie van deze post is: Studio Paars - DIY: naai een geborduurd brillenhoesje

======================================================

Somewhere last week I finished something I had been embroidering on for a while. I have been totally absorbed in embroidery sinde I first joined TAST at the beginning of this year and I have to admit, since finishing this piece I am just a little fed up with it. For now, because I'm sure it will come back!

Ergens vorige week heb ik iets afgemaakt waar ik al een heel tijdje op aan het borduren was. Ik ben helemaal into borduren sinds ik begon met TAST aan het begin van dit jaar, en ik moet eerlijk zeggen dat ik het, sinds deze af is, er wel een beetje mee heb gehad. Voor nu dan, want het komt vast wel weer terug!

case
case, a photo by het groene kamertje on Flickr.

I had intended this to be a Tutorial so when I started I took tons of pictures, but as it progressed I kept forgetting to make more. So now it's Sort Of A Tutorial.
I started with two pieces of felt for the outside, and two pieces of a very soft fabric for the inside (to protect the glass), a button, a bit of felt for the tag with the buttonhole in it, and some felt shapes. All the felt and the button were part of a recent gift I received, and I liked the idea of using them together to create something really REALLY bright and colourful.

Dit had eigenlijk een Tutorial moeten worden, maar ik vergat steeds foto's te maken dus is het nu maar Een Soort Van Tutorial.
Ik begon met 2 lapjes vilt voor de buitenkant, 2 hele zachte stukjes stof voor de binnenkant, een klein stukje vilt voor het flapje met het knoopsgat, en wat vilten vormpjes. Al het vilt en de knoop waren deel van een heel lief kadotje dat ik laatst kreeg, dus ik wilde ze graag samen gebruiken voor iets heel, HEEL kleurigs.

case 1
case 1, a photo by het groene kamertje on Flickr.
case 2
case 2, a photo by het groene kamertje on Flickr.

First I embellished the felt pieces (here's where I forgot to take pics). This took up the most time.
Then I used a buttonhole stitch to sew each layer of felt to a layer of the fabric for the lining. On one of them I  sewed the tag piece by placing it between the two layers before stitching.

Eerst versierde ik het vilt (hier heb ik dus geen foto's van), dit koste me de meeste tijd.
Daarna naaide ik met een festonsteek elk lapje vilt op een lapje van de voeringstof. Tussenuit 1 ervan naaide ik het flapje voor de sluiting.

case 3
case 3, a photo by het groene kamertje on Flickr.

Then I used a simple running stitch to stitch everything together, leaving open one of the shorter sides, and a bit extra down the longer sides (for easy access).

Daarna naaide ik de twee delen met een stiksteek op elkaar, maar liet 1 van de korte kanten open, samen met een klein stikje van de lange kanten (om makkelijk de bril eruit te kunnen halen).

case 5
case 5, a photo by het groene kamertje on Flickr.

Lastly I cut the buttonhole in the tag and sewed the button in place. I have to admit I'm not completely happy with this bit, might have to change it someday.

Als laatste knipte ik het knoopsgat in het flapje en naaide de knoop op z'n plaats. Ik ben hier niet helemaal tevreden over, misschien dat ik dit nog eens zal aanpassen.

case  4
case 4, a photo by het groene kamertje on Flickr.

It's not exactly a glasses case (more of a glasses cozy) since there's no padding, but all the felt and fabric layers make it pretty sturdy so I feel comfortable putting my glasses in there.

Het is niet helemaal een brillendoos (meer een brillenmapje), aangezien er geen vulling in zit, maar alle lagen stof en vilt maken het toch een vrij stevig geheel dus ik heb wel het idee dat mijn brillen er veilig in zijn.

case 6
case 6, a photo by het groene kamertje on Flickr.
case 7
case 7, a photo by het groene kamertje on Flickr.
What do you think?

Wat vind je ervan?



also posted at:
504main anoriginalbelle annemarieshaakblog askanna atozebracelebrations atthepicketfence avisiontorememberb becolorful boogieboardcottage C.R.A.F.T. cherishedbliss cherishedtreasures classyclutter coloursdekor craftionary craftomaniac creatingmywaytosuccess creativeitch delicateconstruction DIYhomesweethome etcetorize eyeheart firefliesandjellybeans freckledlaundry frenchcountrycottage getouttamyheadplease gingerbread happyhourprojects homework hopestudios ishouldbemoppingthefloor itsahodgepodgelife itssoverycheri jaqsstudio ladybugblessings laughloveandcraft linesacross lovelycraftyhome lovenotesbylauryn madincrafts makingtheworldcuter marvelouslymessy nightowlcrafting notjustahousewife petitehermine pincushioncreations pollywantacrafter quiltstory raisingmemories rhinestonebeagle rookno17 sarahndipities serendipityandspice serenityyou sewcando sewchatty sewwoodsy sistersofthewildwest soverycreative stuffandnonsense sumossweetstuff sweetlittlegals thecreativeitch thekurtzcorner thesoutherninstitute thewinthropchronicles threadingmyway toastiestudio twindragonflydesigns whilehewasnapping youngancrafty 


20 comments:

  1. Dat borduren heb je supergoed onder de knie gekregen zeg! Misschien ook maar eens mee aan de slag. En je hoesje vind ik prachtig geworden, echt waar.
    Fijne week. Groetjes, Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I love the cozies, they look so bright and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty glasses cosy!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing! You did such a great job with the embroidery! I love the details!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow!! This is awesome.. The cozies look lovely.. The colours and the embroidery is stunning as well.. wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cheerful glasses case. Would make you happy just to have an excuse to drag it out of your purse in search of your glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these are adorable! Thanks so much for linking up your projects over at The Winthrop Chronicles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the beautiful colors - really makes the stitching stand out! Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love these bright colors and the one of a kind element that these fun pieces have. Thanks for sharing this week on BeColorful
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's cute. Perfect to keep in my purse.

    I'm visiting from the CRAFT party. I would love it if you stopped by my blog.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, thanks for all the comments!

    @ little red home: dank je! zeker doen, het is leuk :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, wat een prachtig werk!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the color,lovely..:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such detailed and colourful embroidery!!! It's beautiful!!! A great way to carry your glasses...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these! such a funky modern look! saw you on happy hour projects.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so cute! I want to make them for my glasses. :)

    Found you on Love Notes by Lauryn and would love for you to pass by my place to link up!

    http://lovingthiscrazylife-melissa.blogspot.com/search/label/PARTY%20TIME

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I Would like to try something like this,
    you have a great talent!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete